Close to the ventilation tower overlooking the River Mersey, the One O'Clock Gun provided an important time signal to shipping on the Mersey. Fired electrically from Bidston Observatory originally in 1867 and the original cannon was a relic brought back form the Crimean War.
Due to the advent of radio and increasing maintenance costs by 1932 a proposal was made to discontinue the practice. Although this did not occur, firing was suspended during the Second World War. The tradition continued to be used for decades until modern timekeeping equipment made it unnecessary and was last fired on July 18, 1969.
In July 2019, crowds gathered on the Wirral waterfront to take part in a 50th anniversary commemoration from when the gun was last fired. Special guest was Syvlia Asquith, a former scientific officer who was in charge of the meteorological team at Bidston Observatory and was last person to fire the gun on July 18 1969.
The 103 Regiment Royal Artillery brought over a field gun which was used and fired on the day to take the place of the One O'Clock Gun. The One O'Clock Gun can still seen on the Wirral waterfront only a short distance from Woodside Ferry Village.